Website Design & Development
The web team’s primary function is the design and development of new (or updated) campus websites. We offer solutions ranging from simple, off-the-shelf products to full custom development. While outsourced web solutions are still an option for campus clients, we’ve earned the trust of over 1000 campus admins and develop the majority of the University’s public-facing websites.
Benefits of MarComm websites:
- Backed by the University. Our team functions as the University’s primary digital communications source. We’re on campus, always available, and employed by the University. We develop websites from the top of the administration down to personal blogs.
- Stable, Secure, & Fast. Our websites are built using Conductor, the University’s CMS, and are hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS). They consistently boast over 99.99% uptime and pose no security risks. We build with performance in mind and deliver industry-leading page load speeds.
- Cost Effective. Our hourly rate is $95/hr, which is below industry rates. Our use of repeatable design patterns, specifically the University Theme, keeps overall web design hours low.
- On Brand. We build every website within the University brand standards for web (we developed them). This gives your website credibility, validation, and immediate recognition as affiliated with the University and ND.edu.
- Best Practices. Our team is passionate about best practices for web, and it shows. We design every site with mobile, tablet, and large-monitor users in mind. We advocate for simple, logical, and visible navigational practices. We are leaders in performance and accessibility.
- Campus Network. Web admins are able to share news and events from their website to other campus websites, including news.nd.edu and events.nd.edu. Admins with responsibility for multiple sites can easily access them all with one NetID-based login. Units with multiple websites can manage all their websites and users together, limiting administrative difficulties.
- Easy to Use. Web admins can always access their websites with their NetID and password, and are never responsible for upgrades, updates, or outdated tech. The Conductor admin is simple to use and fully customizable to meet the content needs of your website.
The web team offers three different types of Conductor-based websites:
For savvy, independent users needing a quick, economical solution, a Do-It-Yourself Conductor website utilizes the University Theme at a low cost. A DIY typically ranges from $300 to $1,000 with few custom additions. Preliminary set-up time is typically within one week. The strategic approach and ability to customize these sites is low. These websites are appropriate for any organization at the University.
A themed website uses the University Theme as a base, with the addition of custom attributes. A themed site can range from $2,500 to $7,000. Set-up time is dependent on client availability and the scope of the project. The strategic approach and ability to customize these sites is high. These websites are appropriate for colleges, departments, administration, and other sites central to Notre Dame’s academic mission.
Start a Themed Project
A custom website is an opportunity for the Web Team to use their creative skills and experience to achieve the vision of the client. A custom site can range from $5,000 to $15,000 and higher. Set-up time is dependent upon client availability and current Web Team schedule—typically ranging from four to six months. The strategic approach and ability to customize these sites is high. These websites are appropriate for special campus events, initiatives, products, and auxiliaries.
Start a Custom Project
Every single project is different in size and scope. That being said, our process typically includes the following:
- Strategic Priorities and Goals
- Information Architecture
- Design - Wireframes and Styles (full screen and mobile)
- Content creation and migration
- QA and Launch
While every project is different, we tend to see most take a couple months.